Aaron is always bugging me to “make a big thing of vegetables and rice” that he can take to work for lunch every day for the week. I finally did it. I used the recipe below and left out a bunch of the veggies, added one teriyaki-marinated chicken breast (cut into strips) in step five, and steamed a bunch of rice. It’s delicious and so very healthy!
Original recipe here, or after the break.
• 8 small broccoli florets
• 8 small cauliflower
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 12 pieces canned baby corn, drained
• 8 snow peas, string removed
• 6 large shiitake mushrooms, steamed, caps sliced
• 1 small Chinese eggplant or Japanese eggplant, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
• 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
• 1 baked teriyaki-seasoned tofu, 2-inch square cut into 1×1/2×1/4-inch pieces
• 1 baby bok choy, quartered lengthwise
• 1 green onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1. Blanch broccoli and cauliflower in pot of boiling salted water for 1 minute.
2. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds.
5. Add broccoli, cauliflower, corn, snow peas, mushroom and eggplant.
6. Cover and cook until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes.
7. Mix in coconut milk, soy sauce and oyster sauce.
8. Add tofu, bok choy and green onion.
9. Cover and cook until vegetables are just tender and coated with sauce for about 2 minutes longer.
10. Sprinkle with pepper.
11. Transfer vegetables to large bowl and serve immediately.